Sunday, March 12, 2006

Musings of a Dumb Ass

Musings of a Dumb Ass..... Abortion and the right to or not to has been a modern day argument for near 40 years and no closer to being settled than it ever was. Growing up in a world that unwanted pets were casually and systematically shot or drowned and slaughter animals killed and dressed in the front yard, Abortion and what it meant wasn't an issue where I come from. In fact, as girls became pregnant, and they did, there was always 'talk' about how they'd just get it fixed. Fixed meant taking the girl to a doctor who would do the deed, or taking care of it themselves. Taking care of it themselves meant they would ingest some chemical potion that would cause a miscarriage, try to over exert themselves or engage in a dangerous physical activity, or in the absence of a doctor or failure of the physical activity method, occasionally someone would try to use a coat hanger or some other tool to dislodge the sorry little bastard. In the absence of old fashioned guts my own mother chose the physical way to try to get rid of me by up to and including jumping off the barn, but I hung in there anyway, and here I am. Abortion and whether or not to, didn't matter much to me until I was about 40, and somewhere in there I started learning respect in a different way. Age does that to one. The argument really seems to center around when life begins. For me, the knowledge that if anything from the act of sex forward to live birth is interrupted, then life cannot continue. That would suggest to me without question or compromise that life does not begin with departure from the mothers womb, and instead begins at the union of the egg. The person who seeks an abortion is seldom willing to look at what was ejected from her body and instead tries to act like it didn't matter anyway. The people who assist and perform abortions have put themselves in a clinical position of thought and values that do not include the kind of respect for our species that must prevail for us to reach a level of satisfaction with life that is necessary for us to die in peace when we are old. I spent my life in the entertainment business, much of it in establishments and with people that didn't include true respect for life. Respect for life is drawn with a very large brush and I certainly don't think a puritan way is desirable, because a double shot of smooth whiskey has an element of heaven in it, and a cute ass still turns my head (does that make me chauvinistic?) but I Do believe that respect is still definable in everything we do and should not be breached. There is still great debate about President Clinton's blowjob and what it meant. Some believe it was just a good old boy having some fun. Some believe it might have been wrong but he should never have endured the embarrasment it created and certainly should have not led up to his impeachment. I believe that it was an abomination for the nation's top elected official to behave as he did in the house that belongs to the ages and the nation, talking to heads of states while He and Monica, under his desk, were giving a new meaning to the word 'head'. Not withstanding that, the damage he done to the moral fiber of generations of Americans is unforgivable, because, the most powerful individual in the world said it was OK by doing it, indicated that vows and dedication to marriage weren't important, then lied about it under oath. As a society we turned a very sharp corner of definition at that point in time and cannot return. We would do well to rethink our values in respect for life. I for one have eternal problems understanding how reasonable and intelligent people can sit at a table and talk about whether or not it's OK to kill a baby, and then believe they understand respect in its truest meaning.........

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bo,
I think that abortion is just down right wrong. Life begins at conception. That is when the heart of the fetus befins beating. I think the people that "play" better consider of what they will "pay" before the commencement of the "play time". The child did not ask to be born and certainaly should be allowed a chance in life. There are way too many responsible, respectable people in this world that would do just about anything in this world to have a child. So why not carry the baby to term and put it up for adoption? GIve those people and the child a chance to have a family. If my life were a little better than it is right now, I would certainly adopt one of those children. I have extended that offer to somone very close to me and because she decided to abort the fetus I had a very hard time associating with her. But that is in the past now and there is nothing that I can do about it but to accept it and try to mend my relationship with that person and be the better person. Even though it took my husband and I 5 years to have our son. As far as Clinton goes, that too is in the past. But in my opinion he did what he did with Monica and that is that. It's time that people let that go and get on with matters that really need attention in our world today.
Thanks for the great post BO.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Bo said...

If there was a way to clone you Molly, I'd get it done, and the world would surely be a better place... Bo

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bo,
How could I ever get through one day without your words of wisdom. And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the compliment. I think that just might even earn you some more baked goods.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home