Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Musings of a Dumb Ass

Musings of a Dumb Ass...... When art loses control of art...... I spent a major part of my life on stage looking out at an audience. It was a great time for me and I relished every second of it, and in retrospect when I think about it it's almost unbelievable I was afforded to do what most only dream of. My chosen field was country music and the artists who inspired me were unique individuals with talents not mirrored by their peers. My departure from entertainment was by my own choice and although sometimes I have an urge to stand on a stage somewhere, my decision to stay out is as strong as my commitment was to get in so long ago. The Las Vegas offering of The Country Music Associations' award show has come and gone again and I have a twinge of sadness at the loss of soul and true style and individuality that once was necessary to occupy a space of recognition in America's only homegrown music that belongs to each of us. They all generally sound alike, look alike, sang tiresome songs, and each entertainer looked like anyone off the street from anywhere USA, except those who were undefinable. It was so scripted for both the performers and the audience in attendance that nothing was left to spontaneity. I suppose that was just too much of a gamble for the producers. To hunger for the equal of Gene Watson, John Cash, Johnny Horton, Tammy Wynette, Conway Twitty, Lorreta Lynn, Faron Young, Tanya Tucker or Ernest Tubb would put you in opposition to all those who make a yuck face at the mere thought of such hicks while worshipping the yodeling, syllable torturing through the nose caterwauling of Garth Brooks and the tinselness of Shania Twain. None of the greats who gave life to Americas' music could get past the secretary's of Nashville's deciders today. I was so proud of the effect I could have on my audience through the music I played. I realize that would not be the case today. But I also realize response of the audience is measured by the exposure they've had, and if the bar is continually lowered and controlled, the audience will eventually be much easier to please and control. I am so glad I was a part of another time. Since George Strait and Alan Jackson was ignored at the awards I guess they don't measure up either...... or perhaps they're just too country for today................... Oh well.....................

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To your surprise I do like the music and storeis of Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, Lorreta Lynn and quite a few more. I was also very upset that George Strait and Alan Jackson were not even nominated. But on the same token I do like most of the "Country" music that is out these days. As I am sure that you heard last night. If my mind is working correctly is was Trace Adkins and his song Honkytonkbadonadonk. I know my mind is working correctly on that one because he is one hot babe. LOL
SHH don't tell the Bennettizer. But I an still waiting for your tapes to float my way so that I may add you to that brand of "Country" music that I will and do enjoy listening to. FYI my car has a tape deck in it. HINT HINT and I have a few through out the house as well.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW did you see what Vince Gill did? It made tears pour from my eyes. That was about the sweetest thing that I have ever seen. He truly deserved that Humaitarian Award. But I think that next year they better pay tribute to MY ultimate favorite Chris Ledoux.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Bo said...

When one discusses music philosophy most of the time the true point gets lost and confused with personal taste and likes or dislikes, and I think that may be what happened with you and I. I have no beef or quarrel with todays individual artists and while Garth Brooks never wound my clock I'm aware that he sold more records than I. I do pay attention to the conformity of who we listen to and the sale and promotion of what they do. My problem is the sameness of all of them and the hypocrisy of their music. It's not that it's bad, Faith Hill is a great talent, it's that it's almost totally mis-labled. Country music is a simple and wonderful presentation of life that is not cluttered by itself and delivered in a wonderful and uncluttered way by an artist that is unique to themselves and unlike the next performer in line. When the literal sound of a style is changed to mimic something else for the sake of sales, then the soul of something very important is usually lost. To bring in a member of ZZ-Top to sing a Buck Owens tune in tribute is about like expecting Martha Stewart to spend the night at our house because we believe she's interested and understands us in total..........

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home